ONE POOT VEGGIE RICE BOWL
These quick and easy meals are a must-have. You can make these meals quickly and easily with what you have at hand. This One Pot Veggie Rice Bowl is my favorite because it requires very little cooking doesn’t require much chopping, and can be used in various settings (dorms or RVs, hotels, etc.). You can customize it in many ways, too. 😉
COOKING EGGS AND RICE IN ONE POT
When we discussed favorite potato salad recipes last summer, many people mentioned that they cook eggs in the same pot as the potatoes. This got me thinking. It takes around 15 minutes to steam rice. This is very close to how long it takes to hard boil an egg. So I decided to combine rice and hard-boiled eggs in one pot. It worked! It works. However, you will want to wash your eggs well before using them. 😉
SINGLE SERVING RECIPE
This is a one-serve meal that can be prepared quickly and easily for one. This recipe is ideal for people who travel or live in a place with limited cooking tools. This recipe can be scaled up if necessary by changing the number of servings as shown in the recipe card. If you are scaling up the recipe, cooking times don’t need to be altered. This One-pot Chicken Teriyaki and Rice recipe feeds four.
USE A RICE OR POT COOKER
These instructions are for using a saucepot or hotplate to make this recipe. However, you can also use a rice cooker. You can use a rice cooker by simply adding everything in the same order and then selecting the cook function. A rice cooker has one drawback. You have less control over the cooking process. If the timer is too long, you might have a slightly green egg.
An egg with a greenish yolk is an indication that it has been cooked too long. This does not necessarily mean the egg has been overcooked. In most cases, however, the effect does not alter the taste. This is simply a chemical reaction when the egg is heated to a certain degree.
CAN I USE BROWN RICE?
This recipe works best with white rice. Brown rice takes three times longer to cook. Your egg and veggies will then be overcooked. Brown rice should be cooked separately for best results.
WHAT ELSE CAN YOU ADD TO YOUR VEGGIE RICE BOWL
Another great thing about this bowl? It’s flexible! It can be used with any frozen vegetable mix (a stir-fry mix is also great), and you can adjust the seasonings to suit your taste. You can also add fun toppings to your bowl if you have them! These are some great toppings for your veggie rice bowl.
- Sesame seeds
- Leftover cooked meat (ham, rotisserie chicken, etc.)
- Shredded carrots
- Sauteed spinach
- Teriyaki sauce
- Red bell pepper
ONE POOT VEGGIE RICE BOWL
You can make this simple vegetable rice bowl with only one pot, a hot plate or a rice cooker. This is a great meal for those with limited resources.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup white long-grain rice (0.31)
- 1 clove minced garlic ($0.08)
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (0.38)
- 1 cup water (0.00)
- 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce, Divided ($0.04)
- 1 large egg ($0.21)
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil ($0.05)
- 1 green onion, cut ($0.11)
- 1 Tbsp Sriracha (or to your taste) ($0.11).
- Combine the rice, garlic, frozen vegetables, and salt in a small saucepan.
- Mix the water and 1 teaspoon of soy sauce, then add it to the pot. Mix the water with 1 teaspoon soy sauce and stir to combine with the rice, vegetables and garlic.
- Place one large egg on the rice, and wash it well.
- Turn the heat up to high and cover the pot. Once the water has boiled, reduce the heat to medium. Turn the heat to low once the water has reached a boil. Let the water simmer for 15 minutes without stirring or removing the lid.
- Turn off the heat after 15 minutes of simmering. The lid should be immediately replaced with a new one. Let the rice rest for five minutes with the heat off and the lid on.
- Remove the egg from the saucepan and place it in a bowl filled with ice water.
- Let the veggies and rice rest for five minutes. Then remove the lid and fluff the vegetables with a fork. Season the rice with the sesame oil, 1 teaspoon of soy sauce or to your taste.
- Place the vegetables and rice in a bowl. The egg can be sliced in half or quarters. Place it on top of rice. Add sliced green onions and a drizzle of Sriracha to the bowl.