SPINACH RICE WITH FETA
This Spinach Rice with Feta is a great way for me to include vegetables in my meals. The spinach gives the rice a subtle flavor and color, making it just as versatile as regular rice. It also provides a great way to get a healthy dose of vegetables without requiring much effort. This is a great way to add more variety to your meals without making meal preparation more complicated.
This side dish was inspired by Spanikorizo (a Greek rice dish with tomatoes and spinach). You can find an authentic spanikopita recipe right here. It was easier to reduce the ingredients and make it like an easy pilaf. I used frozen spinach to speed up the process and always kept spinach in my freezer. This is what I’m sure I’ll often be making.
HOW MUCH RICE CAN YOU USE?
This recipe can be used with any long-grain white rice, including regular, jasmine, and basmati. Brown rice will require more liquid and take longer to cook, which can cause the spinach to become too dry. Arborio and short-grain grains of rice will produce a more expensive end product.
FRESH SPINACH – CAN I USE IT?
Yes, I used frozen spinach to simplify my life, but fresh spinach is also possible, especially if there’s some left. After sauteing the garlic, chop the spinach and then saute it in a pot until it becomes wilted.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH SPINACH ROICE
This Spinach Rice was used as the base of a bowl with Yogurt Marinated chicken and grape tomatoes. This rice is also great with my Beef Kofta Meatballs, Roasted Vegetables and Sheet Pan Greek Chicken and Vegetables or Chicken Piccata.
SPINACH RICE WITH FETA
This Spinach Rice is a vegetable-rich dish that can be used as a base for grilled meats and vegetables. Feta cheese adds spiciness to the dish.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 lb. frozen chopped spinach ($0.65)
- 2 cloves minced garlic ($0.16)
- 2 Tbsp butter ($0.14)
- 1.5 cups white long-grain rice (0.93)
- 3/4 tsp salt ($0.03)
- 2.5 cups of water (0.16)
- 1 Tbsp of lemon juice ($0.05).
- 2 oz. 2 oz.
- Let the spinach cool down by either leaving it at room temperature for one hour or microwaving it for about 1-2 minutes. You can squeeze out any excess moisture from the spinach. It doesn’t need to be very dry for this recipe.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the butter and minced garlic. Sauté the garlic in butter for 1-2 minutes on medium heat
- Add the spinach, rice, and 2.5 cups of water to a saucepan. Stir well to combine.
- Cover the pot with a lid and heat on medium-high. Once the water reaches a boil, reduce the heat to low. Turn the heat down to low once the water has reached a boil. Let the rice simmer for fifteen minutes. Turn off the heat after 15 minutes and allow the rice to simmer for five more minutes.
- Gently fold the spinach into the rice using a fork. It will tend to float on top of the rice during cooking. Finally, add the feta to the rice and fold it over. Serve immediately
Serving Size: 1 Cup Calories: 240.97 Kcal Carbohydrates are 39.48 G Protein: 6.13 G Fat: 6.4 Grams Sodium: 464.14mg Fiber: 1.73 grams.