TURKEY TACO SANTA SALAD
Winter is filled with many stewed, slow-cooked, or heavy comfort foods. Every year around this time, I crave something lighter and fresher. This super easy Turkey Taco Salad is the answer. It’s easy to make, has all the flavor I want, and is still very filling. Did I mention how flexible it can be? For tons of substitutions and add-ins, keep reading!
For this taco salad, I used my Creamy Avocado dressing. But, you could easily swap it out for your favorite creamy salad dressing. You could also use a chipotle or taco-flavored ranch, green goddess dressing or even a tangy Catalina salad dressing.
CAN I SUBSTITUTE THE GROUND TURKEY?
This recipe can be made with ground beef, pork, or tempeh. Crumble the tempeh in a skillet and add 1 cup of water. Let the tempeh simmer for about 5 minutes. Then add the taco seasoning to the pan and saute it for another few minutes.
AUTOTHER ADD-INS & SUBSTITUTIONS
Taco salads can be made in many ways. These are some additional ingredient suggestions that you could use instead of or in addition to the listed ingredients in the recipe:
- Tortilla chips
- Radishes thinly sliced
- Pickled red onions
- Cotija cheese
- Red or yellow bell pepper
- Pico de gallo
- Sour cream
- Green onion
TURKEY TACO SANTA SALAD
This Turkey Taco Salad makes a quick, easy and delicious dinner. It can be made for all ages, so it’s great for everyone!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
CREAMY AVOCADO SKILLED DRESSING
- 1 avocado ($0.89)
- 1/2 cup sour cream ($0.24)
- 1 clove of garlic ($0.08)
- 1/4 tsp salt ($0.02)
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice ($0.50).
- 1/4 bunch of fresh cilantro ($0.20)
- 1/4 cup water ($0.00
TACO SEASONED TURKEY
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil ($0.08)
- 1 lb. Ground turkey ($3.49)
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning* ($0.67)
- 1 head romaine lettuce ($0.86)
- 1 cup frozen corn (0.35)
- 1 15oz. 1 15oz.
- 1 pint grape tomatoes ($1.99)
- 1 jalapeno (optional) ($0.18)
- 2 oz. shredded cheddar ($0.85)
- To allow the flavors to combine, make the salad dressing first. The pit must be removed from the avocado. Place the avocado in a food processor/blender and the sour cream, minced garlic, salt, lime juice and cilantro. Blend until smooth. Keep the dressing refrigerated until ready for use.
- Next, prepare the taco-seasoned turkey. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the ground turkey to the skillet and stir. Once the turkey is about halfway cooked, stir in the taco seasoning. Continue to cook the turkey until it’s cooked through.
- I use the microwave to thaw frozen corn. Wash and chop the Romaine lettuce. Rinse and drain the black beans. Slice the grape tomatoes in half and the jalapeno into pieces. Shred the cheddar cheese.
- Lay a layer of chopped lettuce in each bowl. Top with tomatoes, beans, cheese, seasoned turkey and a few jalapeno slices. Enjoy the creamy avocado dressing drizzled over the salad.
*I used my homemade taco seasoning. If you don’t have any, you can buy a packet of taco seasoning.
Serving: 0.25 Recipe Calories: 476.45 Kcal Carbohydrates 37.55 G Protein: 32.93 G Fat: 23.2g Sodium 1044.28 mg Fiber 11.95 g